1 cup old fashioned oats (not instant)
1 cup skim milk
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 egg whites
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon sugar
raisins or nuts (optional)
- Soak the oats in milk for about one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Combine the oat mixture with the applesauce and egg whites, and mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl measure and whisk the dry ingredients together.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until just combined. Add nuts or raisins if desired.
- Do not over mix the batter or the muffins will be tough. Spoon muffin mixture into muffin pan.
- Combine the cinnamon and sugar and top each muffin with some of the mixture.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until done.
- Remove from pan, cool and enjoy.
- These can be frozen and reheated in the microwave for a quick breakfast.
- Calories 93.2
- Smartpts 4
- Total Fat 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.4 mg
- Sodium 203.7 mg
- Potassium 78.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 14.1 g
- Protein 3 g